I returned from Pateley Bridge in North Yorkshire where at the end of May some 1700 men had come together for the Mighty Men’s Conference with Angus Buchan. It must have been about nine months ago when I was first approached by Ian Gray with a vision to host a men’s conference in the Nidderdale Agricultural Show Ground. My response to his request was, “We don’t normally do this sort of thing but I will pray about it”. Having done so I felt God said to me that it’s good to serve other people’s visions at times. So over the last few months I have traveled to meet with a small group of men from greatly differing backgrounds and jobs all of whom God had brought together to see the vision fulfilled. Over those months of planning we have grown together as friends and seen God do many great things.
On the 21st May myself and a small Spearhead team from around the country traveled to Yorkshire to join with sixteen local guys to put up both of our tents; the 3000 seater and the 1500 seater. The larger would form the main meeting venue and the smaller provide cover for the catering and book stall etc. Over the next three days we saw God do many great things and the unity among the team that was on site to prepare for the weekend was phenomenal. Both tents went up without any problems and the lighting, staging and PA were installed efficiently.
On the Friday men started to arrive on site; some were camping while others were staying in local B&B’s. The sense of God’s presence was incredible. When we started to worship together that evening it was amazing to be one with such a large group of mostly Christian men giving God honour and praise. The worship could be heard in the villages around Pateley Bridge especially as with one accord we declared our “Amens!”
Angus encouraged us over the weekend to take up our responsibilities as Christian men and to be ready to make a difference. At the end of the first evening Angus called men forward who did not have a relationship with the Lord to come and make a commitment and ten guys went forward. Over the weekend around thirty men came to accept Christ as their Lord and Saviour. It was great to watch as fathers and sons, brothers and friends were united in faith. In addition to these eternal changes many others had their lives changed the testimonies of which are still coming in from all around Britain of all that God did throughout the weekend whether in the meetings or on the campsite or indeed over a meal in the refectory tent.
All too soon the the men were leaving again to return home, lives challenged to be the leaven that will bring about a change in their neighbourhoods, work places and families.
What a privilege it was to be involved in this life transforming weekend. I have made friends that I feel sure will be life long and wonder for what further adventures of faith God might bring us together again in His Kingdom.
Read more of Ian Gray's vision to bring this event to Britain;
The vision of this conference is based upon the MMCs in South Africa:
1. The Great Commission - Mark 16:15
"And He said to them, Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature"
2. Caring for Orphans and Widows - James 1:27
"Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in
their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world"
3. Equipping Saints for the Work of Ministry - Matthew 28:20
"Teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always,
even to the end of the age. Amen"
In 2010, I was at the Mighty Men's Conference (MMC) on Shalom Farm in Greytown, South Africa. I had been to the previous three MMCs and felt and seen the amazing changes in men's lives and the awesomeness of the Lord at work with thousands upon thousands of people.
Angus said to us all at the conference that this was the last one but that they would continue around the world. If we asked him and he felt the Lord wanted him to, he would come to the MMC that we arranged.
2 Chronicles 7:14
“If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.”
Read Angus Buchan's Bio:
Angus Buchan is an honest and sincere South African farmer of Scottish descent. His gentle but uncompromising faith has carried him through droughts, financial crises and family tragedies. He has seen God perform miracles and wonders to provide and heal. When God called him to preach the gospel, he did not hesitate to obey, and his obedience has lead to a powerful ministry around the world.
In 1980, he started the Shalom Ministries to preach in his local community. Over time he has become a full time evangelist whilst the farm is now owned and being run by both his sons. In 1998, Angus wrote a book about his life, Faith Like Potatoes, the book was turned into a film of the same title in 2006.
• The Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
• In the Eternal Triune God.
• In the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
• That for the salvation of the lost and sinful man, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
• In the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by Whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
• In the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
• In the creation, test and fall of man, as recorded in Genesis; his total spiritual depravity and inability to attain to divine righteousness apart from God.
• In the Lord Jesus Christ, the Saviour of men, conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, very God and very Man.
• In the Spiritual Unity of Believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.